Choosing to Wait
Everyone’s doing it, right? Wrong. Only about half of South Carolina high school students have had sex. Everyone has their own reason for waiting and it’s always an option. It doesn’t matter how far you’ve gone with your partner, if your partner has already had sex, or if you’ve told your partner you’re ready.
So why are so many teens in South Carolina deciding to wait? There are lots of reasons.
- No worries! Abstinence is the only 100 percent effective way to prevent pregnancy and STIs.
- It’s free.
- To focus on long-term goals, like school, or a career.
- Both partners are a part of the decision.
- Not feeling emotionally ready.
- Haven’t found the right partner.
- As part of their personal, family, or religious beliefs or values.
- They want to wait until they’re older.
- They want to be in a committed, long-term relationship.
Want to wait?
Think you want to wait? Talk about your decision and expectations with your partner.